The Antelope Valley-East Kern Water Agency (AVEK) is a wholesale water provider that stores, treats and distributes water, providing treated water to retail agencies and untreated water to agricultural customers within its 2,400 square mile service area which includes parts of Los Angeles, Kern and Ventura Counties. The Agency’s current demand is approximately 45,000 AFY. AVEK is one of the 29 State Water Project water agencies in California and has a Table “A” supply in the amount of 144,844 acre-feet as well as local adjudicated groundwater production rights. AVEK’s mission is to deliver reliable, sustainable, and high-quality supplemental water to the region in a cost-effective manner.
The Assistant General Manager is an at-will position reporting to the General Manager. This position will assist the General Manager in all aspects of the Agency’s function with an emphasis on water supply planning and overseeing the Agency’s water supply contract with the Department of Water Resources. Assist in ensuring execution of short- and long-term goals and objectives, and acts on behalf of the General Manager in that person’s absence.
The ideal candidate should exhibit outstanding leadership skills and strong public servant values and have a keen understanding of water policy and related issues. In support of the General Manager the candidate will have the ability to effectively communicate, work collaboratively, and possess a diplomatic demeanor that complements strong administrative and management skills. Working with the General Manager, this individual will also work to secure outside resources in the interest of advancing the Agency’s goals and priorities.
- Assist in the planning, development, organization, implementation, and evaluation of the Agency’s function and performance.
- Maintain effective oversight, communication, and coordination on State Water Project policy and programs.
- Develop and make recommendations to the Board of Directors on any policies and other matters requiring their consideration and approval, and provide supporting information as necessary, to enable the Board to properly evaluate recommendations.
- Work with the State Water Contractors and the Department of Water Resources on legislation and other water supply related initiatives.
- Oversees water audit functions with other Agency personnel.
- Communicate with the Department of Water Resources, and Agency retail, municipal, and industrial customers.
- Acts as Public Relations representative to other public agencies, non-profit organizations, and the public.
- Report to the Board on staff and business changes, change in Agency structure, and any significant water legislation changes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering or Business/Public Administration.
- Professional Engineer licensure is preferred.
- Ten years of progressively responsible management or executive experience in public utility operation and maintenance is required.
- Valid California driver’s license.
Compensation and Benefits:
The annual salary for this at-will position will be $192,517 - $245,706 or commensurate with experience, qualifications, and overall career history.
Candidate should be aware that AVEK is a non-PERS agency. An excellent benefit package is offered including fully paid Medical, Dental, and Vision for employees and family; Defined Contribution Plan (401k Plan with 10% employer contribution); Vacation; Sick Time; Holidays (all floating); Administrative Time; and Life Insurance.
See Job Specification for additional responsibilities, duties, and requirements.Click Here
If you have the qualifications listed in the job description and would like to apply for the position, please use the form below.
January 20, 2023.