In 1959, AVEK received its charter as a regional water Agency from the State Legislature, an event that followed the 1953 formation of the Antelope Valley-Feather River Association. The concept was to import surface water supplies from the Feather River.
In 1962 AVEK’s Board of Directors signed a contract with the state to secure the delivery of water supplies intended to supplement the local groundwater. AVEK became the 3rd largest State Water Contractor with an entitlement of 144,844 acre-feet (the average household uses 1 acre-foot per year.
AVEK is a wholesale, supplemental water provider that treats, delivers, and stores water, providing treated water to retail agencies and untreated water to agricultural customers within its 2400 square mile service area which include parts of Los Angeles, Kern and Ventura Counties. The Agency's current demand is approximately 50,000 AFY.